As we embark on a New Year, I am excited. For the first year ever, I have engaged in a little planning. I have never been one to set goals. Not because I don’t believe in them but because I never really learned how. As my sister will attest, if I can’t picture how to do a thing in my head (mind) then it automatically goes into the “too much work” pile. I like simple and if I can figure things out quickly then I am all in.
In today’s article, I’m sharing some basics of goal setting. We’ve all heard of S.M.A.R.T. goals but today we’re adding a couple more steps to the pot. Things to think about and include as you go about planning what you want to achieve in the New Year.
Goal setting is a process that involves knowing what you want, determining how to get it, and developing a plan to guide and motivate you toward achieving it. Setting goals is a powerful skill that anyone can learn. Huh. It begins with knowing where you are, where you want to go, and extends through doing the research and collecting the data to ensure your success.
I’m sure you’ve heard of S.M.A.R.T. goals, but the process that works best takes it a bit further and is called S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goal setting. When you implement this process for all your goals, you’ll be more likely to achieve them. This method ensures your desires are grounded in reality and include the exact steps that will get you what you want.
The goal-setting process using the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. way is an acronym that stands for:
- Specific – Be very specific in the goal you want to achieve.
- Measurable – How will you know you’re making progress toward your goal?
- Attainable –Can accomplish your goal within the timeframe you set.
- Relevant – Does your goal align with your core values?
- Time-Bound – Set a realistic deadline to achieve the goal.
- Evaluation – Evaluate your goals and progress throughout the process.
- Readjust and Reward – Step back and readjust either the process or goal as needed. Reward yourself for a job well done once you reach your goal.
Use the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goal process to set goals for living a healthy life. Once you go through the process, you’ll have a clear plan translated into daily actions that will result in success.
Now that you have the framework for making your goal, next week we’ll delve a little more into using the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. framework to set yourself up for success.
Need more self-care tips including info on incorporating more laughter into your day, head on over to A Cup of Positivity on Facebook join the discussion.